Hi All! Who among us knows how to transform an image-based PDF into one that employs optical character recognition (OCR)? I'd like to know how. This seems like the type of thing we'll get asked to help with at the reference desk more and more often. I assume it's fairly simple, but perhaps it's very involved. Please let me know if you know how, and maybe others will want a quick demonstration, too. Thanks!
Hi Ramona,
ReplyDeleteI think I know how to do what you're asking about. As you intuited, it's pretty straightforward. In Adobe Pro, go to "Document" and select "OCR text recognition". A dialogue box will come up that will allow you to select your desired language. The accuracy depends on the font and text size, but you'll usually end up with a document in which you can search for text in addition to being able to highlight passages.
Is this what you were wondering?
Yes, that sounds quite simple. I will try it. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteRamona
Thank you Ramona for bringing up this topic and thank you Laura for the great info. Very helpful!
ReplyDelete