Dear people,
I stumbled across access to the Boston Globe 1980-Present through ProQuest on the
Cambridge Public Library newspaper page
and thought you all might like to know about it. We do have access to
the Boston Globe via Factiva since 1987, but if you feel the way I do
about
Factiva, you will be excited to know about the ProQuest access.
The access is through the Massachusetts
Board of Library Commissioners and is not Harvard-specific, so you won't
see it listed on the SFX page for the Boston Globe. Laureen Esser
provided some information on the access (see below).
However, I find that when I use the Boston Globe search on the
site she links to, it not only searches Boston Globe 1980-Present but also the Vogue Archive and the New York Times 1851-2011, whereas the
link from the newspaper page searches just the Globe (1980-Present).
Info from Laureen:
The MA
Board of Library Commissioners licenses access to some e-resources for
all MA residents and for all libraries that are members of the
Massachusetts Library System (these libraries have
their own web pages set up for this access).
The
e-resources include a bunch of Gale databases, Enc Britannica stuff and
the Boston Globe from Proquest 1980+. The MBLC uses geolocation for
some of the access, so if you have an IP address
that is recognized as a MA address you will get access. This is the
access that MBLC offers all MA residents- if you go to the main page at:
You will
probably see a note that you are signed in as a MA resident, without
signing in, although its possible to have an address that is not
recognized. Harvard is not a member of the MLS
and I do not think we have done anything to set up access specifically
for our institution (and we may not be able to, as non-members). I
believe that access to Gale One File and the Globe have been brought up
before and there was some decision not to include
access points to the resident access, possibly because we do not
regulate the access, it would not work for all our patrons regardless of
location, and/or the licensing is not through the library.
Thanks,
Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment