I told someone that they couldn't use the manual feed on the printers in the Widener Reference Room but now I am not sure if this is correct. Do we let folks use the manual feed?
In Widener there is no way to really prevent someone from using the manual feed option, and I cannot think of a reason to forbid it. IT does not have a hard and fast rule against this.
It has been my personal experience, when assisting a patron, that the manual feed did not work and cost the patron some money (it pulled paper from the tray instead of the manual feed). In this case I printed their document using their special paper at the reference desk (instead of telling them how to get a refund or using the dept. copy card).
We do not want to get in the habit of always printing special items for patrons though. The manual feeder should work fine for patrons, but if it is something that is causing a problem for other patrons then we can monitor the situation and prohibit it if needed. Note: we do not provide any specialty paper (colored paper, resume paper, labels, etc.) or any discount for people using their own material to print.
Hi Kathleen. It's been a while, but I recall helping one patron to use the manual feed one morning when it wasn't busy in the reading room.
ReplyDeleteIn Widener there is no way to really prevent someone from using the manual feed option, and I cannot think of a reason to forbid it. IT does not have a hard and fast rule against this.
ReplyDeleteIt has been my personal experience, when assisting a patron, that the manual feed did not work and cost the patron some money (it pulled paper from the tray instead of the manual feed). In this case I printed their document using their special paper at the reference desk (instead of telling them how to get a refund or using the dept. copy card).
We do not want to get in the habit of always printing special items for patrons though. The manual feeder should work fine for patrons, but if it is something that is causing a problem for other patrons then we can monitor the situation and prohibit it if needed. Note: we do not provide any specialty paper (colored paper, resume paper, labels, etc.) or any discount for people using their own material to print.